Thursday, November 4, 2010

More Awkwardness.

In my Child Development class, we are required to give a presentation about an assigned topic. Yesterday my group was having a meeting to nail down the specifics about how we wanted to present our information to the class. There are just three of us and one of the guys showed up about an hour earlier than the other one. So it was just me and Andy (that's not his real name, but it fits his looks/personality) sitting at one of the tables in the library. I noticed he had a couple of band aids on his right, middle finger. They weren't there the day before so I decided to ask him about it.

Me: Oh ouch!! What happened to your finger?!

Andy: Oh it was a construction accident a few years ago.

Me: (looking really confused)

Andy: Ya, most people are afraid to ask about it.

Me: (still looking confused, still looking at the band aids)



Wait for it.




Wait for it.




About a full 30 seconds after he stopped talking I realized that next to his middle finger is his pointer finger. Actually, more accurately, next to half his pointer finger.



As if yesterday weren't awkward enough, due to the outcome of previous events I decided to just tell British Columbia (remember, from my earlier post) exactly what I thought about him. Unfortunately, the guts to do this accumulated right around mile 2 of my 6 mile run. Almost all of my different running routes happen to pass right by his house. I thought this would be perfect. I'd just show up at his door at the end of my run, all sweaty and out of breath, and just let the awkwardness take over. So, I paced outside of his house for about 10 minutes rehearsing what I was planning to say. After making an obviously trodden path in his grass, I finally had gathered the nerve to actually knock. So I did. Turns out, he wasn't even home. I got a very, very weird look from his roommate. And then I left. And then I felt even more awkward.

3 comments:

  1. Did you mention that you were talking about the finger with the band-aids and hadn't noticed the other? He'd probably feel great that you didn't even notice he only had half a finger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What do you think of British Columbia?

    ReplyDelete